enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V-16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 22:56    Post subject: V-16 Reply with quote

I know this is nothing to do with aircraft but it is an engine related question and so I hoped someone might be able to assist.

I was shown a magazine article from the late 1970s ('78 or '79 I think, possibly Car Craft?- I'm guessing as I can't recall). The article was from an established hot rod type enthusiast magazine and was about an older guy (not a twenty-something year old) who had built a sedan powered by a V-16 engine. The engine was built by attaching two 350 Chevrolets together. I recall the article stressed how carefully the two crankshafts had to be welded together and also how precisely the blocks were aligned. The article went into technical matters in some detail. There were good black and white photographs of the components and the final installation as well. I remember the sedan looked surprisingly understated and plain. The majority of the work undertaken was hidden under the skin. The car was raced from time to time and could run in the eleven second bracket.

I would like to get hold of a copy of the magazine (and anything else that has information on grafting engines together like this) or a photocopy of the article, as I am keen on building a V-16 as disclosed in that article. I have tried the local libraries but their collections are incomplete, have been "deaccessed" or stolen. Unfortunately being so far away from the US makes it difficult to search for this sort of material. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gerald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: