enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

direct fuel injection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 19:14    Post subject: direct fuel injection Reply with quote

I have often wondered why e.g. Americans did not copy German injection pumps as such? I find the injection system in the R-3350 pretty Heath Robinsonish, mildly speaking.

They did a straight copy of e.g. the German electric torpedo as the domestic one was quite poor a design.
rhaus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 14:22    Post subject: direct injection Reply with quote

An interesting idea I had many years ago (and used in a high school project) was the use of direct injection with a swirl combustion chamber:

The fuel was to be injected "upwind" of the spark plug...the idea was to "feed" the fuel into the flame front rather than allowing the flame front to travel across the fuel charge...I figured it would reduce the tendency to knock and allow higher compression ratios with poorer quality fuels.

When I was 18, I built a flow bench model by modifying one of my spare 331 Chrysler Hemi cylinder heads (331 Hemi, I suppose that dates me a bit!)........problem was, I didn't know anyone with a flow bench to test any of my theories on this....but the chopped off chamber still looks interesting on the mantle.

I still suspect the concept is valid in some regards, just look at the compression pressures vs the octane ratings of the fuels burned in a gas turbine and yet no detonation occurs--due in part to a stationary flame front.

Anyway, it's a nice day here in Alaska and I've already seen 2 or 3 Beaver float planes head out to some remote fishing spot...makes me want to go outside to fish and listen to R-985's flying overhead...gotta go!

thanks,
Robert
szielinski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 00:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they really understood/liked them.
TM had an article by an R-R engine tester where he had to muck around with a 'damn silly fool Junkers' for ages just to get it going again.
It seemed there was a whole mechanism missing they didn't notice
(yes, yes, I know the plane crashed).
I'm not sure, but I don't think there were American firms with manufacturing licenses (from Bosch) for injection equipment pre-war.
There were in England as far as I know, and the technology didn't seem to be investigated with much fervour.
-just my opinion, no flames, please.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 04:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they (Americans) should have tried to convert a diesel injection pump to a petrol injection pump, preferable a pump with separate lubricant circulation as e.g. the Bosch pump did.

And there is allways the option of unlicensed copy:)

The starting problems reported ny the RR guy were indeed odd, as both the Jumo and DB had (as far as I know) a reputation of easy starting engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: