enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bristol Cherub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sithomas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 14:14    Post subject: Bristol Cherub Reply with quote

Thanks for the article on the Bristol Cherub. Seems fitting that Bristol would make such a complicated valve drive mechanism!

I am still trying to figure out how it works. From what I can figure from the photos, the cam is the usual style cam. The torsion rods (central part of photo BC3-42) have fingers that I think run on the cam, thus twisting the rod. I doubt they would run directly on the cam, but I can't see anything that fits between the cam and finger.

The other end of the rod has a 4 spline fitting. This would connect to the cylindrical thing in the top left of photo BC3-46. I believe this is the device that would push down on the valve. You can see another part of it in photo BC3-04.

Is that even close to being right?

Photo BC3-71 appears to be upside down.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 16:17    Post subject: Re: Bristol Cherub Reply with quote

sithomas wrote:
Thanks for the article on the Bristol Cherub. Seems fitting that Bristol would make such a complicated valve drive mechanism!

Actually, it is quite simple... Think about the parts count. There are no tappets or push rods. You are correct that the fingers run against the cam lobes and transmit movement via the torsion shafts to the rockers, which act directly on the valve stem ends. So rather than the cam, tappet, push rod, rocker arm, valve of the standard mechanism, we have finger/torsion rod, rocker, valve!

sithomas wrote:
I am still trying to figure out how it works. From what I can figure from the photos, the cam is the usual style cam. The torsion rods (central part of photo BC3-42) have fingers that I think run on the cam, thus twisting the rod. I doubt they would run directly on the cam, but I can't see anything that fits between the cam and finger.

You have it.

sithomas wrote:
The other end of the rod has a 4 spline fitting. This would connect to the cylindrical thing in the top left of photo BC3-46. I believe this is the device that would push down on the valve. You can see another part of it in photo BC3-04.

Is that even close to being right?

Again, you have it.

sithomas wrote:
Photo BC3-71 appears to be upside down.

You are correct. The images have now been flipped.
sithomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, you are correct about the valve drive mechanism. "Unorthodox" would be more appropriate rather than "complicated".

Do any other aero engines use torsion drive for the valve mechanism? I wonder how the power draws compare between a pushrod and a torsion rod?

Crazy idea for the day: By making a slot in the side of the cam profile, a desmodromic valve system would not be that different to the current layout. Comments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: