enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuels and german engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 20:49    Post subject: fuels and german engines Reply with quote

Folks, I have "coerced" to write a short article on engines and fuels used in the Bf 109. First, I will argue that German engines did not fully exploit the good rich mixture response of their fuels, especially C3. I base my argument on the fact that the difference between minimum sfc and sfc at emergency power is no more than 20% (in case of the DB 605A it is 200 g/hp/hr vs. 240 g/hp/hr), i.e. vastly lower difference than in Allied engines.

Second, wasn´t it so that a PN 130 allowed 30% higher IMEP, not BMEP to be had?

Jukka
rinkol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a comment in Heron's book that tests on captured DB engines showed that increasing the mixture richness did not improve power output (this seems to have been an implied criticism of fuel injection in that the possible cooling of the mixture was not obtained). I do recall that on some of the BMW 801 engines, there were provisions for spraying 96 octane fuel into the supercharger impeller and increasing the boost (about 10% power increase).

Robert Inkol
szielinski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 18:18    Post subject: FISCHER-TROPSCH is a good place to look Reply with quote

try http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/BIOS/1612/bios1612_toc.htm
I suggest sections 1 & 2 would be of interest following on from Rob's comments.
szielinski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 18:23    Post subject: something else... Reply with quote

I also have an article on anti-knock tests the Germans carried out. E-mail me and I'll send them to you (It is from the same site, but may take a while to find).
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 08:42    Post subject: Interesting material Reply with quote

Thanks for the links! I have read some reports on that site, but I have missed this one. Though I could not still find the reason why didn´t the detonation limit improve with rich mixture in the DB srs.

It was also mentioned how the formation of droplets affected knock behaviour at various charge temperatures. It seems that perhaps improved nozzle design and increased injection pressure would have allowed lower charge temperatures to be exploited thru better atomization of fuel. Comments?

Jukka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: