enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merlin exhaust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wstuddert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 23:43    Post subject: Merlin exhaust Reply with quote

A question for all the RR Merlin experts. I recently viewed a YouTube video of a Merlin being run as a display. I noticed that it had 5 fishtail exhaust outlets. On closer view the rear two exhaust pipes were Siamesed, whilst the remainder were seperate pipes. I understand the reason for the fishtail configuration, but a hybrid has me curious. Is this engine a hotch botch, or a true configuration? If it is true, it would seem that the back pressure in the exhaust would be different on the rear pots compared to the rest. Any answers?
wpearce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert but... It is a true configuration, one of the many exhaust setups for the de Haviland Mosquito. I believe the outlet of the siamesed stack was larger than that of the single stacks. I imagine that this did increase back pressure at least a little.

Note the inboard exhaust stacks for the starboard engine and their proximity to the wing radiator.
https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp3148605.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/eb/27/29/eb2729e0bd992e3a66b32172344dd293.jpg

www.oldmachinepress.com
wstuddert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

G’day Bill, thank you for your reply, certainly answers the question. What a great photo of the Mosquito in flight. Is it yours, and did you take the photo?
Take care and regards.
Wayne
wpearce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 09:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I took that photo! I have been unable to find the original photographer, but the Mosquito is owned by Jerry Yagen / Military Aviation Museum in Virginia.

www.oldmachinepress.com
wstuddert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill it’s a beauty. I like your web site, there are some interesting machines. The contra rotating rotary job is a work of art.
Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: