enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captured B-26 Marauder with VDM props?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akambic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 13:08    Post subject: Captured B-26 Marauder with VDM props? Reply with quote

This image showed up on a WWII Aviation forum as being for sale on eBay. It shows a captured B-26 Martin Marauder with different propellers than the standard Curtis Electric 4 bladed prop. They appear to be German since they are 3 bladed, have that silver collar near the hub and a spinner with a hole in it. I showed this to Jeremy Kinney, NASM Curator and author of "Reinventing the Propeller: Aeronautical Specialty and the Triumph of the Modern Airplane". He has never seen this image before. I am trying to locate a possible report written by a German test pilot who flew this.

I suspect if they are VDMs they would have been from the Fw190 so the mounting or placement of the pitch control mechanism would be easier to fit from a radial than from an inline such as the DB605. But now digging deeper, they also resemble some of the He111 props, which were mounted on Jumo211 and would have the Junkers Hydraulic Prop.

Tony

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/martin-b-26-marauder.23764/page-13#lg=attachment616501&slide=0
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: