enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did the Hawker Hurricane use a Merlin 22 or 22A?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssmart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 20:15    Post subject: Did the Hawker Hurricane use a Merlin 22 or 22A? Reply with quote

I have a copy of Ian Craighead's Rolls-Royce Merlin, Haynes series manual.

On page 54-57 it lists the different Mk's of Merlins and what aircraft they were used in and lists the Merlin 22 and 22A as also being used in the Hurricane.

It's my understanding that although the Merlin XX production ceased shortly before before Hurricane production ceased, that there were enough XX's in stock that it seems unlikely that the 22 or 22A was needed to be used?

I'm looking for the background information that would confirm the use of the 22 or 22A in the Hurricane.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Steven Smart.
jstpierre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

In BRITISH PISTON AERO-ENGINE AND THEIR AIRCRAFT by Alec Lumsden, the Mk22a was used in the same aircraft as the MkXX (Lancaster I, VI Defiant II, Beaifighter II Halifax II, V, Hurricane IIA,IIB, IID, IV, Sea Hurricane II, Miles M.20 prototype and Spitfire III. The Mk22 was used in Lancaster I, VII Avro York I and Halifax II and V.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: