enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Octane ratings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 05:19    Post subject: Octane ratings Reply with quote

Any information on what would the octane/PN rating of current 98E automobile fuel if rated with avgas method?
szielinski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 20:08    Post subject: I'll look this 'arvo for you... Reply with quote

Recently there has been some consternation about ethanol content in petrol here in Australia. Lately when I have been filling up at the local there has been a print on the counter of the analysis of that week's/load's fuel. One thing I did notice was that there was a "scientific rating" that seemed to be about the same increase in PN as you would expect from the rating of the fuel mentioned.
I'll grab a copy and post it if I can.
szielinski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't forgotten, just left the bit of paper on the kitchen bench.
Something I found out in the interim, though, the only petrol I know of here (Australia) that has a rating of 98 is from Shell, and is called "Optimax". The data I have left at home is about "Vortex" (sold by Caltex) which is a fuel rated at ~95.
From memory the lead replacement petrol was higher anyway at 96.9. This is the RON - Research Octane Number (the MON - Motor Octane Number is lower at about 85).
Which suggests something similar to the two number PN ratings.
How different that is to the "avgas" method I don't know, but I will still see if I can find out for you. Again apologies for the delay.
szielinski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here goes...
for the "Vortex" fuel, RON 95.2, MON 84.8, volatiles 28.5%
for LRP, RON 96.2, MON 84.3, volatiles 31.1%
(I'll keep an eye for similar results at the Shell outlets).
Dividing 96.2 by 84.3 gives around 114%, which is NOT the same result as 130/100 (130%); so I would guess that the RON is not calculated the same way as for aviation ratings since there is such a big difference in maximum octane rating.
Maybe you could get onto one of the oil company web-sites and ask them (particularly if they make avgas). Also, ask the guy who wrote the 100LL fuel article in TM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: