enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Cooling Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avasko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 17:07    Post subject: Martin Flying Boat fans Reply with quote

Tom, the PBM-5 switched away from the Wright R-2600 to the P&W R-2800.
Probably didn't need them with the swirch.
I would imagine the Mars needed fans with early R-3350 now maskinf four US aircraft with fans. Flying boats often had extended taxis to reach takeoff runs. Also, long T/O runs to break water particularly if calm. Old Pan Am mechanic who worked at Pt Washington and the LGA on boats told me they had two Gar Wood speedboats to use on calm days. They would crisscross in front of the flying boat on the T/O run making waves to break hull suction.
He still mourned a bag of tools dropped in Flushing Bay he couldn't bring up with a magnet. Power to weight ratio on those big boats was pretty poor.
Excuse thread drift.
tfey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony and all, I appreciate a good thread drift! You never know what you'll learn. That is a neat tidbit about the speedboats making some chop to free the flying boats, and I feel for the guy with the overboard tools. Keep that drift coming.
tfey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 06:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony and All, one more tractor engine fan cooled American radial installation: the one-off P-47J also with non-cuffed Curtiss Electric props.
https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/media/p_47j.17444/full?d=1533599079
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: