enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R-4360 Direct Fuel Injection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avasko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 18:46    Post subject: R-4360 Direct Fuel Injection Reply with quote

In reading Kim's article on R-4360's, it only mentions carbureted models. The the R-4360-53 used on some models of the B-36 is shown in P&W sources as having direct fuel injection. I am very familiar with the direct fuel injection as used on many Wright R-3350 engines but have never seen anything on the Wasp Major.
How many injection pumps were there?
Any diagrams of the pump locations and routing of the high pressure lines going to the cylinders?
Were any other 4369's fuel injected?
Did Pratt use direct injection on any of its other engines?
We had some problems with pinholes in the steel injection plumbing. Anything on that on the -53?
avasko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 23:21    Post subject: R4360 Direct Injectyion System Reply with quote

A little investigation shows the Direct Fuel Injection System on the R-4360-53 is the Bendix 100-28-A5. Other engines in the range of the -53 model in the P&W list show fuel injection but none were produced. So, the -53 model is unique and as far as I have determined, the only Pratt engine to do so.
The -53 model was used in most all advanced Convair B36 and RB36 models.

I can find no indication of the use of direct fuel injection in any other P&W engines, at least in any production models. Have I missed something?
Except for one parts catalog (eye-watering price) on E-bay no training manuals (best) or maintenance manuals.
Any old B36 techies out there?
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent a few emails asking about direct-injection experience. It appears that the B-36 was the only user of P&W direct-injection R-4360s. Thus far, no response from anyone who worked on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: