enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T.O 6R-1-3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wstuddert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 02:06    Post subject: T.O 6R-1-3 Reply with quote

I’m a volunteer at a museum in Australia. We need to inhibit some engines that are installed on operational airplanes, that are used for display only. When it comes to carburettors there is a reference to T.O. 6R-1-3. Does anybody have a copy that I can download or a hard copy? Help needed! Wayne
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for that TO and found nothing, at least the normal search engines found nothing on it. Maybe Kim would know where to look.
For preserving the carburetors, that is a Stromberg pressure injection type. Precision engines in Everett WA recommended Royco 481, that is what they use. It is a light viscosity turbine engine oil and also recommended for
aircraft fuel systems. I have used this, and will at some time report on how well it has worked. I'm sure there are places in Australia that would have it.

MIL-STD-2073-1C as a P-10

https://www.skygeek.com/anderol-royco-481-turbine-engine-corrosion-preventative-compound.html

https://www.chempoint.com/products/lanxess/royco-lubricants/royco-mineral-oil-lubricants/royco-481
wstuddert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I was after the TO just to satisfy our regulator that we are doing the correct thing, and there is nothing we have missed. I have used the Royco product in our spare carby, but wanted to cover my ass.
Thank you again for taking the time to search. I couldn’t find the document myself, throwing it to the forum was a last resort.
Take care. Wayne
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

What agency issued that TO? That is where to start.
I would think having proof from an FAA approved Carburetor repair and overhaul facility should be enough to satisfy the regulator.
Since they no longer overhaul engines, they have now adopted a different name.

https://www.precisionfuel.com/

Also note this outfit is the only one that has PMA for Bendix-Stromberg Carburetors, that alone should satisfy your regulator.
wstuddert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T.O. 6R-1-3 is referred to in T.O 2R-1-11 Corrosion Control of Reciprocating Aircraft Engines, dated June 1969. This is issued by the Secretary of the Airforce.
Precision fuel may be of help with the latest material used and procedures. I’m happy with the Royco product also AeroShell Turbine Oil 2 also complies with the MIL spec. stated in the T.O. on corrosion control. I just want to ensure the procedure I’m using is correct.
Thanks again.
Wayne
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be an old Navy R-2800 manual that I copied this from.

Dated 1945

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(i) CARBURETOR.-Remove the fuel transfer pipe and disconnect the fuel lines; then install a suitable nipple in the carburetor fuel inlet connection.
(See figure 32.) Using a funnel and hose, completely fill the carburetor through the fuel inlet with slushing oil (specification No. AN-VV-O-446, Grade 1065) Remove the drain plugs from the bottom of the carburetor and allow the slushing oil to drain. Flush the carburetor several times with slushing oil, and actuate the throttle and mixture control each time. Drain all oil from the carburetor and reinstall the drain plugs. Seal all openings in the carburetor and the ends of the fuel lines with suitable covers and plugs.

CAUTION

Do not allow slushing oil to enter the regulator air chambers, automatic mixture control, or air passages of the carburetor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like the oil they call slushing oil was SAE 30 engine oil, equivalent.
At least this shows what the procedure was at that time.
wstuddert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the information. Yes indeed they are old publications, goes with the territory.I have something to go on. My real concern was not to over pressuring the system, looks as if gravity is sufficient. Sounds straight forward, we will give it a bash.
Regards. Wayne
wstuddert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could help with another but related matter. The PWA manual on engine preservation mentions pumping inhibiting oil into the front prop thrust bearing. They don’t give a location to do this except to remove the pipe plug in the thrust bearing cover. With the prop installed I cannot see any plugs other than two ‘screws’ about 10 & 2 o’clock, on the gearbox housing that look to be where I would expect the thrust bearing to be. The manual I’m using is PWA Part number 66498 Chapter 10. Regards Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: