enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barrel engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 15:04    Post subject: Barrel engines Reply with quote

I don't have the opportunity at the moment, to check my archives, but does anyone have any information on the Macomber Rotary Engine, a brief description of which is in EAA Vintage Airplane, December 1993, page 9?
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Please see
http://www.enginehistory.org/before_1925.htm#macomber
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 02:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I should have said that I was interested in whether it was in any other journal/book, etc. A google search doesn't bring up anything.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 06:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn D. Angel mentions it in his Aircraft Engine Encyclopedia (1921) and in Aerosphere 1939. If you have access to early volumes of the Engineering Index, and are willing to search through several years' citations, you might find a periodical that mentions the engine.
What kind of information are you looking for?
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 07:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it in Angle's books, and in the stuff we have previously discussed. Over the years, I have seen very little about it. Just wondered if anyone had any more information. Would love to see a photo of it working: are there any in a museum? Did it work, was it a paper exercise?

It's like one of our readers was interested in what diameter cable was used to hold Szekely engine barrels on. I've got a package from a library that holds some Szekely stuff. (they Xeroxed it all for me) If he asked, I'd try to check the details, for him. If nobody asks, we wont be able to help each other.

Wait until I start asking questions about the French variable compression ratio aero engines, that use a rotatable off-centre bearing in their construction, shown in one of the two volumes of
Les moteurs à pistons aéronautiques Français (1900/1960) printed by Docavia.

At least you have put me onto a possible source I haven't used before. Scientific American about that period has some interesting stuff on new aero engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: