enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New cutaways book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 06:33    Post subject: New cutaways book Reply with quote

No aircraft engines, but still a very good book on one of the major cutaway drawing experts.

Watts My Line?: The Life and Work of Editorial Artist, Lawrie Watts by David Dixon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/095443577X/202-3546868-9674229
pshort

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 04:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very nicely done book, I like it. I am not too sure about the accuracy of some things written, but it is a very enjoyable book, this man has an amazing skill and it is beautifully presented here.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to list which vehicles it covers? Even the publisher´s site doesn´t have the listing and if there are too many post-1945 cars I am not hugely interested in I may have to skip this one.
pshort

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, the book is a bit of a mixture, but a nicely done mix. I wouldn't buy it to find out much detail about the vast array of subjects covered, more just an interesting tour through this artists life I guess. By far the most of the book deals with post 1945 subjects, except for the stuff on Percy Pilcher, Wilson and maybe a few other bits.

After discussing the artistic techniques, there are chapters on:

Motorcycles (36 pgs), cutaways and photos of various engines, eg MZ 125, 250, Suzuki RG square four, Triumph Bandit, usually the accompanying text is not a lot of detail of the engine but brings out Watts particular experiences in doing each job, eg travelling to East Germany to visit Walter Kaaden, trying to figure out the Suzuki engines at the 1962 Isle of man etc etc. Quite a bit of stuff on the authors own "Dreamliner" motorcycle. Watts is obviously more than an artist, he made all sorts of stuff as well. Great photos of Fath 500cc two stroke flat four including parts photos.

Automobiles (50 pgs), working experiences at Daimler, cutaways of Montego!, Jag XJ13, Donald Campbells "Bluebird", Nobles "Thrust", Bond Bug, Alfa 158/159, Rover-BRM Le Mans turbine engine, Vanwell, and many more. Wilson self-changing gearbox.

Mechanical Farming, (20 pgs) cut aways of things like rotary cowsheds, cultivation systems...

Nautical (6 pgs) Odd stuff like hovercraft, Blue Riband challenger etc

Aeronautical (54 pgs) Watts is a keen glider pilot, so plenty about gliding, experiences, various different craft, cutaways, models he built and flew (eg Meteor jet). Most of this chapter is about Watts gliding experiences, no engine cutaways. Quite a bit about Percy Pilcher the pioneer aviator, this being another of Watts interests. Also a little on the Wilson-Pilcher car, Percy Pilcher having being involved with this, along with Wilson of self-changing gearbox fame. Wilson supplied the engine for Pilchers aircraft apparently.

"Ones that almost got away" (24 pgs) 4 cylinder Norton racer, BSA Wankel, Alpha 250cc disc valve, 250cc Rotax, Norton-Wulf, Villiers stepped-piston V-four diesel....mostly engines that never made it past prototype stage.
gwhite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this is an excellent book - well worth the money. A few bloopers crept in such as Max Millar's name being miss spelled, the Carvair (converted DC-4) being described as a Bristol Freighter plus a few more. Nevertheless, the art work more than compensates.
pshort

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 02:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across an advertisement for another book with cutaways, it sounds interesting too:

"Graphic War - The Secret Aviation Drawings & Illustrations of World War 2" by Nijboer, published by Boston Mills Press. 304 pages. This appeared in the Camden Books catalogue for £30 and the description includes:

"This mind blowing book is packed with detailed cutaway drawings of the aircraft and airbourne weaponry so critical to both sides of World War 2. These illustrations from top-secret training manuals and colourful wartime posters are fascinating, informative and very helpful to modellers. Most of the artists and technical illustrators, on both sides, who produced these works remain anonymous" etc

Anyone seen this one?
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 07:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Graphic war book, and it's not all about things we like. There are a lot of posters used during WW2 that your parents and grandparents might be nostalgic for, but it's a bit too expensive for only a few cutaways of the odd aircraft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: