enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early ADI use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhaus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 14:02    Post subject: Early ADI use Reply with quote

I am wondering when ADI (anti-detonant-injection) first came into use. I have a theory that it was NOT originally used in aircraft engines. My reasoning for this is that I recently added a 1917 Fairbanks-Morse 3 horsepower engine to my hit-and-miss engine collection. This engine is ignitor fired (make and break ignition) but it is actually throttle governed, rather than true hit-and-miss. It has a dual fuel carburetor on it so that it can burn gasoline or kerosene. But perhaps, most interestingly is that it also has a needle valve in the water jacket with a tube leading to the intake port, when opened it functions as a crude water injection system for use when running on kerosene or other low octane fuel. This way they did not need a lower compression ratio to accomodate the lower grade fuel. I am fairly certain that this was not new, even in 1917.....so I suspect the idea did not originate with aircraft, but with stationary farm engines.

thanks,
rh
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the answer per se, but ADI was fitted e.g. to a Soviet pre-WW2 artillery tractor in which it was used when running on lower quality fuel Very Happy
rhaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! ...I would not have expected it to show up in pre-ww2 tank engines.....but then again, I sure did not expect to see it on a ww1 vintage stationary engine either. Perhaps this is a far more common practice than first thought.
gwhite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricardo makes mention of water injection in a two stroke prior to WWI. Howevr, ADI did not enter common use until WWII.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: