enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal charge temperature?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 05:33    Post subject: Ideal charge temperature? Reply with quote

In Graham´s newest book he wrote that the ideal charge temperature is 70-80 deg C. Now, I believe he means that as far as carburetted engines are concerned (or any engine where the fuel is introduced before the inlet valves) due to fuel vaporization issues. One would believe that in direct injection engines for all practical purposes the lower the induction air temp, the better. Any comments?
rhaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess you are likely correct except in cases where the air temperature is SO cold that some of your combustion energy has to be expended to heat the air. This is not much of an issue, certainly not in spark ignition engines, but it does become a factor for diesels (which depend on the heat of compression to ignite the fuel. My diesel truck seems to run best when the outside air temperature is between +10 and +40 degrees Farenheit. When the outside air temperature is around -20 to -50 degrees (common in Fairbanks, AK) the truck runs fine but with noticeably less power and a little more bluish smoke due to incomplete combustion I suspect. ---rh---
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your truck naturally aspirated for that might explain the problems?
rhaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it is turbocharged...but not intercooled....some of the apparent performance loss is no doubt due to the differential/transfer case lubes being like molasses at those temps, but the difference in exhaust color is definitely a combustion issue...even with the engine fully warmed up it is noticeable at the lowest of winter air temperatures--and not just my truck, I see the same from others.

I am not certain where you live, but I have noticed many "unusual" occurances with all types of machinery when the temperature drops into the region of 40 to 50 below. ....go take a hot cup of coffee out on a day like that and toss it in the air...it will burst into ice crystals and float away....I even carried liquified propane around in a bucket once just to show someone I could. (it boils at -41 and we were at -55 that day)...fan belts break because they become too brittle, tires can too (but they usually just get the flat spot from sitting over night--rough ride for the first ten or twenty miles) Perhaps most seriously is the congealing of hydraulic fluids for brakes, clutches, landing gears, firetruck hook-and-ladders, etc.....I've seen all kinds of stuff break because it got cold.

And yes, at those temps, you can leave a contrail down the highway!!

rh
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 03:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Finland. We too have sometimes quite cold here. At -30 deg C the tires indeed give a bumpy ride! I just wonder how sensible it is to have a rubber band drive for camshafts in vehicles subject to such temperatures.
rhaus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a hundred and ten percent on that point! I have long argued that belts should not be used on critical items like camshafts...granted, chain drives and gear drives will wear out, but they give more warning before they fail. I've seen too many expensive engines reduced to scrap by failed cog belts on camshafts---sometimes even with low mileages too!

So far I have managed to avoid owning a car with that piece of inferior technology.

We have a Piper Navaho here at work...it uses a belt drive for the alternator...granted, it is a twin so you may still have the use of the second engine's alternator (provided you didn't already loose that engine for some other reason) and they get very frequent inspections...but it still bothers me a bit. Perhaps the scariest use of a belt that I have seen in aviation is to transmit power from the opposed engine to the transmission for a helicopter (a Robinson, I think) ...you know how well helicopters fly when you cease to apply power to the rotors.....that one really bothers me.

rh
dstauffer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a criterion or criteria of what is best is important.

Low temperature is good for volumetric efficiency, and specific power (horsepower per engine pound).

On the other hand, for thermal efficiency, a higher temperature may well be better, as someone has already noted.

It is not unusual at all for specific power and thermal efficiency to be at odds. For instance, long stroke low rpm engines can frequently generate higher thermal efficiency, but at the expense of heavier engine per unit horsepower (low specific power).

So, in an aircraft context, do we want performance, say as in a fighter, or do we want range, as in a bomber or transport?
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. Let´s assume we have a direct injection SI engine like the DB 605 and we want to get best sfc at e.g. 60% power, say 1.0 ata/1900 rpm. What is the ideal air temp before inlet valves? Assume that outside air temp does not vary with charge temp.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside: how harmful highj rpm is for durability it is said that for heavy duty diesels an engine running at 3000 rpm requires heavy meaintenance at 10,000 hrs while an engine running at (I presume this assumes same cylinder dimensions) 1500 rpm does not require that maintenance until 40,000 hrs is reached.

I have allways disliked high rpm engines. At least partially for their sound that reminds me of a 12 V motor just before it quits after being run on 24 V.
szielinski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for rhaus,
Does the blue smoke on cold days reduce if the revs are reduced?
rhaus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no reduction in smoke with rpm drop....if I let the engine warm up a bit, it improves somewhat but will still smoke a bit unless the ambient air temp increases. (especially if you really put your foot into it) At first I thought my truck had a problem, then realized nearly everyone else's did the same under similar conditions.

...another thought, and perhaps a more direct answer to the original subject of this thread: I was reading Graham's new book on the 4360...nicely done by the way!! ...in it I seem to recall a statement about the ideal inlet temp for the engine in the B-36 (if I remember right, it's been a couple of weeks since I read it)....I don't know if that was specific to this engine variant in that specific aircraft or if it could've been applied to others as well....maybe a starting point for you though....seems like it was in the 60-80 degree C range? ....I'll have to go look at it again. Gee, what torture, I have to re-read an engine book!! Smile

rh
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what´s the temperatute before the inlet valves in your case? Is your engine aftercooled? BTW, this seems to be something not bothering gas turbines in very cold weather... And steam engines (with condensers) also develop more "oomph" in cold weather.
rhaus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the inlet temp at the valves, maybe I can try to measure it this winter...no, mine is not aftercooled.....as for the steam engines this makes sense because the condenser creates a vacuum that helps "pull" the piston during the exhaust stroke....so a cooler condenser would be better...at least to a point...if it gets cold enough to freeze the water rather than just condense it then all sorts of trouble will result

...as for the gas turbine, this may be because the fuel is fed into the flame front rather than the flame traveling across the fuel...this makes it far less sensitive to temperature and pressure conditions that would wreak havoc on a piston engine.

rh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: