enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

propellers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 20:03    Post subject: propellers Reply with quote

In the latest Reno article Graham White writes how the HamStan prop goes to low pitch position in case on oil pressure failure while Aeroproducts prop doesn´t. Interestingly, both German major designs, Junkers VS and VDM, have "pitch locks", i.e. if the connection between the engine and prop is lost, they remain at the last selected pitch. Note that the VS design is hydraulic, but very different from HamStan. It has a gear type hydraulic motor inside the hub which powers worm gears that rotate the blades.
jschauer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:58    Post subject: Propellers Reply with quote

Just a note about the Ham Std. props, the later versions that were self contained, they also had a pitch-lock system. We had them on the C-130s and the KC-97s. With the pitch lock system, if there was any oil (hydraulic fluid) pressure available it would tend to increase the pitch before locking up again. One of the emergency procedures was to intermittantly hit the feather button to try and force the higher feathering oil pressure into the prop dome to increase the pitch, lowering the rpm. That procedure was used only if you needed that engine's power. I had an overspeed to 106% one time on a C-130, boy did that make a weird noise in the cockpit! All the little access panels started to vibrate and hum, it got your attention real quick. We were able to feather it OK. Funny thing about shutting engines down, in my 13 years of flying C-130s, I had to shut down an engine about 10 times, eight were due to propeller problems.
jschauer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 13:00    Post subject: Propellers Reply with quote

One more thing about the Ham. Std. self contained props, All the engine shutdowns I did were due to the valve body failing, i.e. pump failure, internal leaks, external leaks, etc. The propeller itself never failed.
jrussell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access to a VDM propellor / hub assy off a Me-109 G-10, and was amazed to find out that I could rotate the pitch change pinion gear very easily with my fingers. To rotate those large blades so easily was astonishing. Does a Curtiss Electric prop change pitch with so little friction? How about a Ham Standard?
jschauer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 09:27    Post subject: Props Reply with quote

Not with a Ham. Std.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schauer, did you refer to Hamilton Super Hydromatic?
jschauer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:49    Post subject: Props Reply with quote

I don't know what a Ham. Super Hydromatic is. I'm somewhat familiar with the Ham. Std. that were/are installed on KC-97s and C-130s if that's what a Super Hydromatic is. Those are the self-contained props that have the valve body, pumps, hydraulic fluid resevoir, governor, all in a housing that slides over the prop shaft before installing the prop next. It is operated with MIL-O-5606 hydraulic fluid instead of engine oil. You could reservice the resevoir on the 97 in flight with engine oil in an emergency. We used a prop paddle that you would slip over the end of the blades to twist the blades when assembling them before putting on the dome assemblely, it was about three feet long for leverage. Once the dome was installed you could not twist the blades.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe thje Super Hydromatic was being offered at the end of the war, but apparently it did not gain acceptance. One book on the Kaiser Fleetwings carreir attack aircraft mentions some critique on the SupHyd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: