The Jacobs R-755
Compiled by Kimble D. McCutcheon from Material Donated by Michael Smith
Published 18 Apr 2018
Jacobs L-4 (R-755)
|Fischer & Jacobs was organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 1 Jan 1926, and constructed an experimental air-cooled 4-cylinder, 2-stroke radial intended to replace Curtiss OX-5s. Although the engine reportedly weighed less than 250 lb, and produced equivalent power, it was never produced.
Renamed Aircraft Engine Corporation, the company moved to Camden, New Jersey for a short time, and finally settled in Pottstown, Pennsylvania when it acquired a plant from the Light Machine and Foundry Company during its 1931 liquidation. The Pennsylvania Secretary of State Corporation Registry indicates that the Jacobs Aircraft Engine Company was incorporated on 31 Aug 1932.
The Jacobs R-755 was introduced in 1933 and continued to be used in new aircraft designs until the 1960s. Aircraft that it powered included the Anahuac Tauro (a Mexican crop duster), Avro Cadet, Beechcraft Staggerwing, Boeing-Stearman Model 75, Cessna AT-17, Cessna 195, Grumman Ag Cat, Kellett KD-1, and numerous Waco models.
The remainder of this article is available only to AEHS Members. Please Login.