Armstrong-Siddeley Motors was formed in 1919 when Armstrong Whitworth Development Company bought Siddeley-Deasy, which had built aircraft engines during WWI. In 1935 Armstrong-Siddeley Motors became a subsidiary of Hawker Siddeley, which merged with the engine business of Bristol Aero Engines to become Bristol Siddeley in 1960, and then with Rolls-Royce in 1966.
Armstrong-Siddeley piston aircraft engines were named after big cats, most notably Puma, Lynx, Jaguar, Panther, Cheetah, Mongoose, Leopard, Genet, Serval, and Tiger. A-S Gas turbines were named after snakes and included the Mamba, Double Mamba, Python, Adder, Sapphire and Viper. Armstrong-Siddeley was also a major producer of rocket engines.
The Air Annual of the British Empire - 1938:
Armstrong-Siddeley Engine Images from Around the World,
Provided by Bill Bishop
The Aero Space Museum Association of Calgary (Canada)
South Australian Aviation Museum
Cheetah IX at Caboolture Warplane Museum (Queensland, Australia)
- More Cheetah Images -